Hi there! My name is Belinda and I am a certified Connection Training Coach. This means I train horses (and other equines) with positive reinforcement in a way that focuses on their emotional well-being. I love helping like-minded people who are searching for kind and effective ways of communicating with their equine friends. When I am coaching, it is my goal to provide support and guidance in a way that ensures both horse and human enjoy the experience as they progress on their training journey together.
A bit about me:
- Certified Connection Training Coach – (for information on Connection Training please visit the website.)
- Bachelor of Science (I majored in zoology and genetics, and my favourite areas of study were anthrozoology, ethology and animal behaviour.)
- Prior to immersing myself in the study of positive reinforcement and related subjects, I spent many years working with horses. My work history includes working with a range of horses, from the first handling of foals through to schooling FEI dressage movements.
- From when I was a child I learned traditional riding and training techniques and went through phases of learning the popular natural methods that involve rope halters and roundpens. As time went by I was drawn to the idea of classical dressage for the horse’s benefit, and to the evidence-based approach of equitation science. My interest in horse welfare drove me to continuously search for kinder ways of training horses.
- I first learned clicker training in a dog agility class sometime around the year 2000, but for some strange reason it did not occur to me to use it with my horses until much later! My horses loved clicker training when I finally gave it a go, but to begin with I had learned a fairly mechanistic approach and I ran into issues with tense and over-excited, over-aroused horses and had no-one to turn to for help!
- Thankfully I found Connection Training, where I discovered that they were applying concepts from the scientific study of emotions to positive reinforcement training. This focus on the horse’s emotional well-being was a huge piece of the puzzle for me. When the opportunity to study in-depth with Hannah Weston, Rachel Bedingfield and Shawna Karrasch in their instructor training program arose I was thrilled to be accepted as a student.
- Having completed the program I am now actively helping horses and people with their training via in-person and online coaching and I’m finding it immensely rewarding to see the progress being made!
- I am located on the Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia and offer coaching in areas of South East Qld and the NSW North Coast.
- I also offer online/remote coaching which is very convenient and an effective way to learn!
For more details, please visit the Coaching section of this site.
For more info about me, please read my bio on the Connection Training website.
Thanks for visiting my site!